Saturday, March 10, 2007

President's Day Weekend

So, for President's Day Weekend, I talked my boyfriend into flying out for a visit. We ended up traveling down to Monterey, CA for a nice overnight trip. I picked him up at the airport on Friday morning (my first experience with morning rush hour traffic since moving here... blech!) and then headed down south.

We checked into our hotel (the Monterey Marriott...quite fancy for our standards) and pondered what to do with ourselves. While waiting for a decision, I took a picture from our balcony. We had quite the view from our ninth-floor room.



After speaking with the people at the front desk of the hotel, we decided to walk down to Cannery Row and see the Monterey Bay Aquarium we have heard so much about. I was excited to see Cannery Row, having read the book Cannery Row by John Steinbeck when I was younger.



The next day, we got up and drove along 17 Mile Drive and looked at all the fancy houses and golf courses. We then headed down to Point Lobos State Reserve and hiked along the ocean for a little while. Here is a picture of me near Cypress Point.



After Point Lobos, we meandered up Highway 1 to the Bay Area. We stopped at many beaches along the way to look at tidepools and enjoy the sunshine. Here are a few pictures of the sights.


(note: New Mexico folk, please ignore my embarassingly white legs...I don't get much sun out here in Northern California)

We had to climb down a drainage to get to the beach I took this picture from, but it was SO worth it. The view was amazing.


This was the last beach we stopped at. It was up near Half Moon Bay so it was foggy and cold. It had tons of tidepools and some seals.


The seals were cranky, so I didn't go to close


By the time we were finished exploring Highway 1, we were beat. We spent the rest of the weekend relaxing. A few other highlights of the weekend: we saw Breach at the California Theater (good movie, by the way), had lunch and beers at the Pyramid Brewery, and toured the Scharffen Berger chocolate factory. Overall, it was a great trip!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home