Thursday, July 03, 2008

Vegas, baby!

Hey all -

Sorry for the incredible lag between my last post and this one. It's a testament to how busy I've been with medical school. We finished classes a couple of weeks ago (I passed all my blocks - yay!) and, as I left my last final, I thought to myself "now, where did the last 11 months of my life go? Last time I paid attention to anything it was August..."

I'm sure you are all eager for an update on what I'm doing. Currently, I am living in Las Vegas, New Mexico. Yes, that's right, Las Vegas, NM. It's a town in northern New Mexico along Interstate 25 with a population of about 15,000 people. My purpose for being here is to do an internship in a rural pediatrics clinic.

Most of my experience with children has consisted of playing with Daphne and Miles (see NorCalAllens and SoCalAllens blogs, for those of you who aren't familiar with my "niece" and "nephew"). While seeing them is always a delight, and is entertaining to no end, it hasn't prepared me for the world of pediatrics. Because I have no children of my own, and most of my clinical experience so far has dealt with people in their 60s and 70s, a pediatrician's office feels like another planet.

There is so much I need to learn. I've already had a crash course in feedings and diaper changes and childhood development. I also need to learn how to examine babies and children, and learn how to instruct parents on child safety. On top of all of that, I need to learn about common childhood diseases, their treatments, and how to diagnose them in a brief physical exam. The amount of information is intimidating, and I find myself exhausted each day after clinic. However - I think this will be a great learning experience. I feel that after this internship, I will be well prepared for my pediatrics rotations in the hospital my third year.

Unfortunately I don't have time to upload any pictures right now. I don't have any good ones of the area yet anyway. I will try to update in the near future though! Now that I'm not in school I have a little more time on my hands. Not a lot more time, mind you, but enough that I think I can manage some updates. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home